Put your cooking skills into practice with this delicious fragrant and tangy Northern Thai curry recipe from The Noodle Cookbook. Whether you are vegan, following a plant-based diet or simply doing Meatless Mondays, you will definitely enjoy this creamy and flavourful vegan curry with green jackfruit.
Khao Soi with Green Jackfruit Vegan Curry Recipe
Mile High Curry
Serves 2 – Showing Off / Vegan Recipe / Gluten-Free Recipe – Wok to wonderful in 30 minutes – Hero ingredients: green jackfruit, lemongrass, turmeric and ginger
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (optional)
- 10g dried rice vermicelli noodles (optional)
- 120g dried egg free yellow noodles
For the curry broth
- 1 Chinese dried mushroom, or use 1 dried or fresh shiitake mushroom
- 2 large red chillies, finely chopped
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 lemongrass stalk, ends trimmed and outer layer removed, or 1 teaspoon ground dried lemongrass
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Few sprigs of fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon mild or medium curry powder
- ½ tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste, or 2 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste, or 1cm (½in) piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, fresh or frozen (or use 3 dried leaves)
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce (or use tamari for a gluten-free alternative)
- 1½ tablespoons agave syrup (or honey, if not vegan)
- 500ml boiling water
- 560g tin young/green jackfruit, drained, rinsed and roughly chopped into pieces
- 400ml good-quality coconut milk
For the toppings
- ¼ small red onion, finely sliced
- 1 small gherkin, finely sliced
- 2 wedges of lime or lemon
- ½ red chilli, finely sliced
- Small handful of fresh coriander, including stems, finely chopped
1. If you want to make crispy vermicelli noodles as a topping, heat the vegetable oil in a small frying pan (skillet) over a high heat.Add the rice vermicelli noodles and shallow-fry until crispy. Remove the noodles from the pan and place on a plate lined with paper towels. Set aside.
2. Place a medium-sized saucepan over a medium heat and add all the broth ingredients, except the coconut milk. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes over a medium heat.
3. Now stir the coconut milk into the mixture and bring it back to boil, then take off the heat immediately and set aside.
4. Half-fill a small saucepan with boiling water and place over a high heat. Add the egg or yellow noodles and cook for 2–3 minutes, depending on whether you like ’em chewy or soft. Drain well and then divide between 2 bowls.
5. Pour the soup broth all over the noodles. Scatter the toppings over the noodles, along with the fried vermicelli, and serve immediately.