Ped Toon is a hugely popular Thai dish which is often served at festivals where food vendors’ trolleys tend to be surrounded by locals happily slurping their soup. This rich and hearty broth is served with melt-in-your-mouth duck slices which will keep your taste buds happy.
Healthy Thai Duck Noodle Soup Recipe
Deep Dish Duck
Serves 2 - Doddle / One-Wok Wonder / Wok to wonderful in 30 minutes - Hero ingredients: cinnamon and ginger
- 250g duck breast, skinless
- 120g dried yellow egg noodles, thin or thick, but you can use wheat noodles if you prefer
- Small handful of fresh bean sprouts, or small handful of finely sliced iceberg lettuce
For the broth
- 2 star anise, or a pinch of ground aniseed
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste, or 2.5cm (1in) piece of fresh root ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste, or 2 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Mr Lee’s Healthy Mussel Sauce (page 24), or ready-made fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey or agave syrup
- 900ml boiling water
For the toppings
- Small handful of fresh coriander roughly chopped
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fried crispy garlic or onions (optional)
1. Put all the broth ingredients into a medium-sized saucepan over a medium–high heat and add the duck breast.
2. Cover with a lid and bring to the boil, then simmer over a medium heat for 20 minutes.
3. Then remove the cooked duck and strain the broth through a fine sieve into a separate saucepan. Set the strained broth and the cooked duck aside.
4. Half-fill a small saucepan with boiling water and place over a medium heat. Add the noodles and boil for 2–3 minutes, depending on the thickness of the noodle.
5. To assemble the dish, divide the noodles between two large bowls and top with the bean sprouts or lettuce. Slice the duck and place in the bowls.
6. Reheat the broth, bringing it back to the boil, then pour it all over the noodles.
7. Finally, scatter over the toppings and get stuck in immediately.