Learn how to make our sticky chicken makeover. Our healthy version provides a crunchy Korean fried chicken hit without the greasy comedown and it comes with a fabulous moreishly tangy sauce. It’s so good you could put it on cardboard and it would still be gorgeous. *Caveat our lawyers recommend not putting the sauce on cardboard and eating it.
Korean 'Fried' Sticky Chicken
A Healthy Makeover
Serves 2 – Showing Off – Wok to wonderful in 30 minutes – Hero ingredient: sesame seeds and ginger
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste, or 2 garlic cloves, crushed and finely chopped
- 250g (9oz) chicken thighs, boneless and skinless, cut into strips approx. 2–3cm (¾–1¼in) wide and 3–4cm (1¼–1½in) long
- 8 tablespoons Korean breadcrumbs (ppanggaru), or use Japanese panko breadcrumbs
- ½ tablespoon self-raising flour
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 120g (4¼oz) dried jajang noodles, or ramen noodles
- ¼ cucumber, deseeded and cut into 5cm (2in) batons
For the chicken marinade
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Korean gochujang red pepper paste
- ½ tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted black sesame seeds, or use white
For the pour-on dressing
- ½ tablespoon Korean gochujang red pepper paste
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey or agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste, or use 1.5cm (5/8in) piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
1. Put the light soy sauce, sesame oil and garlic into a medium bowl and mix it all up well. Then add the chicken strips and mix, coating the chicken. Set aside for 5 minutes.
2. Heat the vegetable oil in a wide skillet over a medium–high heat with 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil. While it’s heating, pour the breadcrumbs onto a small plate. Add the flour to the chicken mixture and mix. Then add the egg to the chicken mixture and mix, so the chicken is completely coated. Take a piece of marinated chicken, letting any excess drip off, then roll it in the dry breadcrumbs to coat. Take your dry hand, dip the piece back into the batter, and then back into the breadcrumbs. Lay the piece of chicken straight into the hot pan, and repeat with the other pieces of chicken.
3. Fry the breaded chicken for 3–5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. When you turn the chicken, start with the first pieces you put into the pan, so they all get evenly cooked (you can check by cutting into a thick piece with a knife). Once the chicken pieces are cooked, place them on a plate with paper towel to absorb any extra oil.
4. Place a small saucepan of boiling water over a medium heat. Add the noodles and boil for 5 minutes and drain well. Put the drained noodles into a mixing bowl and add the sauce ingredients, mixing it all up nicely. Divide the noodles between 2 serving plates. Add the chicken pieces and cucumber batons.
5. Mix together the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and pour over the noodles, and et voilà. Enjoy!
Do you need a main dish and dessert to go with this side? Check out our Lobster Laksa Noodle Soup and our White Chocolate Coconut Mousse, they are amazing! For more recipes like this, you can buy The Noodle Cookbook now available on our online store.